Sunday, December 2, 2007

Wicked Windy

It was a windy day today but that's no reason to not go out and run, right?

Right.

I thought I'd turn it off my music for a while. My run takes me through a regional park and alongside a waterway. There are no cars, just an occasional bicyclist or two. There was no silence though. I heard the squawks of the birds - ducks, egrets (or were they herons?), crows - the whoosh of the wind as it rushed through the reeds and the weeds, the thumpety-thump-thump of my shoes as they hit the pavement, the pounding of my heart, my breathing as I tried to keep it even. I tried to clear my mind but I kept coming back to the wind, the wind, the wind.

There's nothing quite like running straight into the wind. The leaves were blowing right at me, every step seemed that much harder and when I finally changed directions and had it at my back, I felt like I was flying. I felt the wind, pushing against me from the front, from the side, from the back.

For a while, it was just me and this amazing force of nature. It is times like this that I really love running.

No comments: