Sunday, March 30, 2008

Giving In

This afternoon, I thought it would be a brilliant idea if I headed out and took a nice bike ride. The weather was beautiful. I hadn't been out on my road bike since late November last year and it was high time that I got back in the saddle. The boys were set. M was busy in the garden planting tomatoes with little P as his trusty assistant. D was watching the As play the Giants in a pre-season game.

I pumped up the depleted tires and headed out. Crunch. Not the sound I was hoping to hear. The gears were grinding a bit after the almost four months of disuse. I hoped that riding would work the kinks out and I was right.

Then, I ran right into It - The Headwind that Would Not Die. Pedal, pedal, pedal. Say, was that three feet I just moved forward? Pedal, pedal, pedal. Still not moving very far. Pedal, pedal, pedal. Say, this isn't very much fun. I'm struggling against the elements, my ears are getting cold, I can't really appreciate the scenery because I'm trying too hard to get moving.

"Quit whining." I thought to myself, "Keep going."

Two seconds later...

"Hang on. I came out to have fun. If I'm not enjoying myself, why am I still out here?"

So I turned around and coasted back home with the wind at my back.

Sometimes, you just need to give in, quit swimming against the stream and go with the flow.

1 comment:

uchi deshi said...

Wise move! My own philosophy exactly!