Thursday, February 7, 2008

4th Kyu

Want to hear about my test? Funny story. I got to the parking lot, bought the parking ticket, placed it on on the dashboard and then headed to the changing rooms. Then I realized that I'd left the jo in the car. Ran back to the car. I opened the trunk and couldn't get the weapon out. It just wouldn't come out. So there I was thinking:

I got it in, why can't I get it out? Did it expand on a rainy day? What am I going to do if I can't get it out? What if it snaps while I'm trying to get it out?


I'm doomed.

I took a deep breath and tried again - and got it out. I still had to get changed. Undressed. Put on gi bottom. Put on gi top. Realized that I was not wearing a sports bra. Took off gi top lest I really give the testing board something to talk about. Got dressed again and made it to class.

I bowed onto the mat and took a couple of test strikes with the jo. They felt ok. I was about as ready as I was ever going to be.

Four people were testing: Immovable Rock for 5th kyu, me for 4th kyu, Dancer for 3rd kyu and Role Model for 1st kyu. Rock is just that, young fellow, strong, likes to resist. He's fun to throw. Dancer is tiny but she can throw someone twice her size. I love to watch Role Model practice aikido. She's got such beautiful posture and projects calm, strength and confidence when she moves. I want to be like her.

Rock's test was over in about 5 minutes. Yipes. That meant that I was up next.

Did I mention that my uke bailed on me about 5 minutes before the test? Her knee had been feeling wonky and, though she thought she'd be better, she wasn't feeling up to taking ukemi that day. Thank goodness Role Model came to the rescue. Whew.

Suddenly, it was my turn. This is what it was like:

bow in

a bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrr

bow out

Somewhere in between the bowing, techniques were called out, I did them, I stepped the wrong way, did sitting pins when I should have done standing ones, kiai-ed in the wrong spots, but I didn't lose grip of the jo! I guess I remember all the things I didn't do quite the way I wanted. Tonight, I watched the video from the test and was surprised to see myself looking semi-competent.

80 training days to 3rd kyu. One down today, 79 to go.

1 comment:

uchi deshi said...

Congratulations!! Won't be long before 3d kyu! Better start getting ready now!