Friday, February 22, 2008

My First Aikido Seminar

I know, it sounds a little strange: an aikido seminar. No, there are no Powerpoint presentations or chairs in a room. There's usually a visiting instructor, the dojo and a whole bunch of enthusiastic people who take time out of their weekends and cough up some cash to learn something new. Sometimes it's something old that shows up in a new guise or is presented from a different angle.

I had been to a bunch of seminars when I was training in karate and arnis but this was my very first aikido seminar. I was excited. Not to mention the weird coincidence that the visiting Sensei was a high school buddy of one of my good friends - the same one that got me into aikido in the first place.

Basic blending. Keeping the connection. Not being hard but just blending and flowing into a throw. Maybe not always a throw.

It was a great chance to train with a whole new set of people, many of them yudansha (black belt rank). All of them very kind and helpful. A community of learners. I like to learn.

1 comment:

uchi deshi said...

Sounds like fun! It can be fun to train with new people - especially if they are helpful (not always the case). I'm not always a fan of seminars, however. I get sensory overload.