Friday, June 22, 2007

Still Pinoy

I spent my childhood, teen and college years in the Philippines. That made me thoroughly Filipino, not just the half that my mom contributed to my genes. But fourteen years in the US has rubbed some things off. Inspired by bonggamom's Philippine Independence Day post, I got to thinking about what Filipino traits are still quite evident in me and came up with these.

I still:

a. love to eat adobo with a banana.

b. prefer to eat a meal that includes rice with a spoon and fork instead of a knife and fork (especially if there's soup too).

c. pronounce some words strangely (How do you say 'Pythagorean'?).

d. am a mango snob.

e. say "Hay!" when I'm annoyed (usually with the kids, and I know I do this often because I've heard D say it too!).

f. revert to a Filipino accent when I talk to my friends from home.

g. looooove a bargain (that's got to be the Ilocana in me).


I rarely:

a. point with my lips.

b. say 'yes' with my eyebrows.

c. drive with one hand on the horn, so as to honk at the slightest provocation.

d. say 'open' and 'close' the light.

e. call the fridge the 'ref'.

Hmmmm. This gets me thinking about what 'American' traits I've picked up. Goody! Fodder for another post. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

bonggamom said...

Graham says he always knows when I'm talking to you or Tin on the phone because my voice changes. Same thing when we get together, he says the transformation is freaky :)