Saturday, August 4, 2007

The Kindness of Strangers

I took my brand-spanking new road bike out for its maiden ride this morning. Just a short one, I thought - no more than 15 miles (was actually 11 miles), just in case something goes awry. Sure enough about 7 miles in, I hear this horrible rubbing/grinding sound that's coming from my rear tire. Gulp. Should have brought my tools but I didn't. Now what? It appears that the rim is contacting the brakes even when they're not being applied. I decide to ride home the rest of the way. Another mile later, I spot another rider ahead of me who looks like he's toting gear and ask him for help. About five seconds later, I've got three guys all looking at my bike, figuring out that the rear wheel is not true, adjusting it as best they could on the spot and suggesting that I (a) go back to the bike store to get it trued, (b) travel with tools and (c) go clipless. They wish me well and I'm on my way again.

Whew! Bless them.

No comments: