There I was, watching the night sky, trying to catch a glimpse of a shooting star or two. Having heard the hype about the meteor shower, we looked northeast at just past 10. Opened up my eyes wide, harnessed the peripheral vision, and tried to be part of the sky.
Was that one? There! That brief flash of light that cut across the sky like a paintbrush on fire?
Should I wish? If so, what should I wish for? World peace, while an admirable wish, is just a little too, I don't know, out there. A chocolate bar? Too trivial. What else? Something good but not too impossible, something just a little bit crazy.
Who am I kidding? I'm not going to come up with a decent wish when my eyelids are about to slam shut. I'm really just trying to stay awake, stare at the sky, and convince myself that I'm seeing chunks of stone and ice whizzing across my field of vision.
Then I saw another flash. I think that one was for real.
I didn't wish.
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment