Thursday, September 20, 2007

Dawn Ride

I got up this morning to squeeze in a bike ride before work. The stars aligned just right so that my brother, who is staying with us, could watch the kids before he headed for work since M is off at 6:40. I was out the door at around 6:35 am. Still not quite light, but not pitch black anymore. I headed for my familiar 11 mi out and back with a little loop thrown in the middle. It runs right along Alameda Creek, into Coyote Hills Regional Park, along the San Francisco Bay and back home.

I saw no other bikers on the trail. A few walkers were sprinkled here and there, but I was cruising on my own. It was cold and, though I had thought ahead and dressed in layers, my hands and feet got chilly. No matter. It was time to pedal. Usually, I'm watching out that I don't run into somebody else. It was liberating to just go for it and have room. Not that I'm going at Tour de France speeds but still...

As I rounded the hill to head back home, I saw the sun peeking over the hills, a bright orange-red slice in the sky, and I smiled. This was totally worth it. In that moment, I felt like I could have ridden on forever. But it was time to get back to the kids, get ready for work, get going.

The good feeling stayed with me all day.

No comments: