Sunday, January 6, 2008

Vacation Musings: At the Beach in Cebu

There's a gentle breeze blowing in my face and the smell of salt, fish and suntan lotion is in the air. I'm at the beach, in the shade of a giant umbrella. I've heard voices from all over the world: American, Australian, German, Chinese, Korean, Japanese. The tide is coming in. The heat is bouncing off the sand. It is mostly quiet and I am relaxing. No kids to worry about. Nice.

The colors around me are brilliant, as if someone has taking a Crayola box and painted the world around me. Bougainvilleas in full bloom are bursting with violet, orange and red. The coconut tree fronds, palms and ferns are a lush, shiny green. The blue of the sky is reflected in my eyes and I feel some people staring - caught by the uncommon hue.

I look at the people around me: white skin burned red, some still frighteningly pale, some tanned a leathery brown, brown skin than tans easily. Sculpted stomachs and flabby ones compete with each other for space on the sand and in the water. One piece bathing suits are losing out to bikinis on the women - regardless of the wearer's shape. I sit here writing and breathing and just relishing the moment.

No comments: