Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Memorial Day

On the drive in to work this morning, I found myself thinking about my father-in-law. He passed away last August, losing out in the end, to lung cancer.

He was, as one would say, a good egg. He had a great sense of humor and would periodically send us a cartoon strip that he'd cut out of the paper because it had caught his eye. He had his finger on the pulse of politics in the country and the world, read the paper religiously, and was up for a hearty discussion any time of day. He was a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat and his three sons haven't strayed far from their father's influence. He loved to play golf and drive his grandsons around in his golf cart. He loved pasta (and calamari!), a good steak and a pre-dinner drink. He loved his family, and welcomed me whole-heartedly into it.

He had been stationed in Germany at the end of World War II. At the funeral at the military cemetary, a bugler played "Taps" for him, there was a 3-volley salute, and an American flag was folded and presented to M's stepmother. It was the most moving service I have ever been to and I still choke up when I think about it.

I respected him and I loved him. I love the fact that he lives on through his grandsons. I always thought of him on Veterans' Day. Now I'll always think of him on Memorial Day as well.

No comments: