Monday, July 2, 2007

Chicks with Sticks

It's outdoor weapons training time in aikido. A chance to work out with a jo - that's a four-foot staff. Last Thursday was my first jo class in a long time. It felt a little strange. I have my own bo, a six-foot staff, from my time training in karate, but I hadn't swung that around in something like five years!

Back to square one. After practicing - erm - copying - a series of strikes, blocks and sweeps, it was time to work through the 31 jo kata. Brain overload! All I remember is this: reverse thrust, block, reverse thrust, overhead strike, reverse overhead strike and ..... gone.

Need more practice, lots more practice. The best part of the class was that there were three women and two men. We don't usually outnumber the men.

Girl power :).

1 comment:

uchi deshi said...

At our school, most of the senior students are women - 3 women are sandans, and only 1 man. There are a couple of guys who are nidans, and then several of both genders are shodans. It's really inspiring to watch the sandans train.