Saturday, July 14, 2007

Just A Bike

I've owned a mountain bike for the past 12 years. Perfectly happy. Then I signed up for my first triathlon. Suddenly, the temptation to get a road bike has hit. 'Cause of course I've got the money to spare (yeah, right). But who knew that there were so many options: there are race bikes (fairly clear), pilot bikes (for flying??), triathlon bikes (also clear, I think, something about fancy handlebars), touring bikes (for Italy?), commuting bikes (with room for FastPass), cyclocross bikes (??), and track bikes (I'm assuming not for a running track). Then there are all the different materials: carbon, titanium, aluminum, steel, gold, silver (OK, I'm kidding about the last two). Did I mention the price range on these guys? Perhaps it's best that I just not go there.

Jeepers, what happened to the days when choices were simple? Now I feel like I need to navigate my way through reviews and test rides and side-by-side comparisons and shop visits. It's just about enough to make me say "Fuggedaboutit!"

Oh Mountain Bike, all is forgiven.

No comments: