Friday, March 16, 2007

Cheap Travel

Sometimes, all I have to do is close my eyes.

A whiff of Coppertone and I'm on the beach, listening to the crash of the waves, digging my toes into the white sand, feeling a little breeze lifting the hair from my neck.

An old Tears for Fears song and I'm in high school, trying to figure out how on earth I'm going to get that cute guy I've been admiring from afar to notice me and what I'm going to do should that ever happen.

The taste of leche flan and I'm at my Lola's house, listening to her voice and it's saying, 'Have you gotten enough to eat?'. Polvoron and I'm in her kitchen while my aunt explains to me how to make them just the right way.

Sometimes, these trips take me by surprise. One minute I'm here, the next, I've traveled back in time, hopped a plane and been whisked thousands of miles away in just a few seconds. Then, the song is over, the aroma and the taste fade away and I'm right back where I started. Some things remain: that feeling of nostalgia, a touch of homesickness, and the smile on my face.

Excuse me while I go close my eyes again.

No comments: