"Friend is someone you share last cookie with." - Cookie Monster
I have acquaintances and I have friends. People that I've worked with for years that I wouldn't socialize with outside of work; neighbors who, even after four years, I just wave at in the street; people whom I see everyday at school and recognize by face but can't match with a name.
I have a friend that I've known since I was seven and am closer to now than back in the second grade, even though we live thousands of miles apart. I've made friends in the past year that I feel like I've known much longer and would trust with my life. I'm married to my best friend. I have a couple of friends that I crossed paths with through work and know that I will be in touch with forever, no matter where we all live or move to.
I'm lucky to have friends to dance with and sing with and drink with. Others to cook and bake with and for, and, most importantly, eat yummy food with. Friends who look out for me. Friends who I look out for. Friends to share a great read with. Friends to laugh and cry with. Friends to run with. Friends to throw and be thrown by. After all, how can you not be friends with those you've shared blood, sweat and tears with?
There are friends that I don't see but once or twice a year or even once or twice in ten years, and yet, when I do, it seems like we were together just yesterday. I wish I could see them more often but geography, economics and time just conspire against us.
I have girlfriends that I love to shop with, gossip with and go to the spa with. A whole family of friends for trips to the beach to build sandcastles and ride the carousel and eat messy ice cream cones with.
I have guy friends because, yes, it is possible for men and women to be 'just friends.' I have guy friends that I used to date and still remain friends with. Guys that I fancied but never were interested in me that way who became really good friends. I even have guy friends that I'd love to go shopping with.
There's that special something in all of them, that spark of laughter, fun, empathy and shared experiences that ties us together and keeps us connected.
I would share my last cookie with each and every one of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment