Saturday, March 31, 2007

Reasons I Love My Mother

Mother's Day is still a month and a half away but we're in the midst of planning my parents' annual visit to CA this summer and I find myself thinking about my Mama alot.

Here are some of the reasons I think she's the bee's knees.

1. Because she's the only one who still calls me by my childhood nickname.
2. Because she speaks five languages.
3. Because she's my working mother role model.
4. Because she can finish the New York Times Sunday Crossword puzzle in no time flat.
5. Because her voice brightens when she hears mine on the phone.
6. Because she's got style.
7. Because she takes great care of her health and of my dad.
8. Because she didn't push me to take ballet or piano lessons against my will.
9. Because she has always told me that I can do anything I set my mind to.
10. Because she has a way with words and mangles phrases left, right and center. "I have it down in black and blue.", "I was looking for a playboy (not ballboy) at the tennis court.", "Can we order something to take away the bad taste?" (at a really nice restaurant)
11. Because she hasn't had a day of medical school but can diagnose an ailment over the phone and prescribe the right medication for it. Well, mostly.
12. Because she loves to read and passed that love on to me.
13. Because she always has an annual theme for her Christmas presents.
14. Because she's a great shopping partner.
15. Because when she cooks, she always says "It's so easy."
16. Because she leaves the map reading up to my dad, or my brother, or me.
17. Because she's good with numbers.
18. Because she would sing Frank Sinatra tunes to my sons when they were just infants.
19. Because she's ready to try almost anything: parasailing, white water rafting, scuba diving, at least once.
20. Because I'll always be her little girl.

Papa, you're next.

1 comment:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Your mom is pretty darn cool--my mom mangles common phrases too, and has for as long as I can remember :)