Saturday, April 21, 2007

On Running in the Rain

Running in the rain has never really appealed to me. Yet as I set foot out the door this afternoon for a run, a couple of raindrops hit the ground. Hmmm, shall I stay or shall I go? It took me about a millisecond to decide. Go, go, go. The elements be damned, I'm going running and, by gum, I'm going to run 5 miles today. Come hell or high water.

Well, the high water didn't materialize, those raindrops were just a test of my willpower. My determination to run had the clouds in awe and they decided to hold off till I was done. Sure enough, an hour after I got back, the heavens opened up.

I did my 2.5 mile neighborhood loop twice and it was, dare I say, easy. I have the Dish of Death to thank for that. Running it twice a week during the week has made today's flat run comparatively a walk in the park.

Part of me wishes the rains had come while I was running, that I'd gotten drenched to the bone and still kept going. I've got a feeling that that day will still come. When it does, I will run (because I'm crazy!). I feel brave enough to say this because, after all, I live in the Bay Area. How cold can it really get? I bet the hot shower afterwards will feel even better.

No comments: