Almost every morning, as I drive to work, I listen to Garrison Keillor's Writers' Almanac on NPR. A poem, every day. His choices span a broad, broad range of poets, themes, eras and tones.
Every day, this five minute piece is followed by a plug for the Poetry Foundation, a poetry tool. Tonight, I decided to try it out. Tools! Poetry! Two words you don't often hear in the same breath.
I found this one: Annabel Lee by Edgar Allan Poe. I think I read this last the summer before my senior year in high school. Memories. Summer camp (yes, nerd camp). Discussions on the death of a loved one. A love affair that ended too soon. A love that wouldn't die. Just the kind of thing that teenagers would totally latch on to. I'm back in that classroom in Ateneo, hobbling around on crutches because my knee got cut up in a freak gyroscope accident (that'll be another post someday), reveling in being around really cool, really smart kids, my first time to be in classes with BOYS!
Another cheap travel experience. I would bet that there are some poems that will take you back to high school or college too. Give the tool a shot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment