Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Why Blog?

M thinks it's strange that I want to blog. I mean, why put up stuff for (potentially) the whole world to see? Why not just write in a journal?

Why indeed?

I guess there's this part of me that blogging calls to. The part that loved English and Creative Writing in school, that jumped at the latest writing assignment. The part that wanted to be a journalist at age 12 but never got to be one. The part that loves to read and appreciates a well-turned phrase. The part that has been dormant for the past I don't know how long while I've been writing only things with scientific content. Oh, and let's face it, blogging appeals to the little exhibitionist in me that wants to scream 'Look at me! Look at me!'.

I've read that there are people who write just because it's part of who they are, because it's as natural as breathing. Those people write whether or not someone reads their work. I agree. It's fun to write and to see my words on the screen and to imagine that somewhere out there, someone else may be reading and enjoying what I've written. Does a blog that no one else but me reads still exist? Of course it does!

So, why blog?

Why not?

1 comment:

uchi deshi said...

I think that knowing that someone else might reading the blog forces one to give it a structure that one might not otherwise. There's no real pressure to compose a finished piece in a journal.

And, best of all, it's fun.